A lesson learned and a great first event!

A good friday night can absolutely kill a Saturday. At least for me. I'm learning this as I inch toward race day. Priorities are shifting toward what's good for my training plan and I'm making choices that will affect the next several hours or days of workouts. Case in point: friday night - two weeks ago. I went out with some friends, stayed up too late and consumed a bit of alcohol. I knew full well, as I was imbibing, that I was expected in the parking lot of my workplace at 7:30am the next morning to travel to Shelbyville to watch our friends, Ben and Tammy compete in an Oly distance triathlon. I still had a couple of drinks, thinking I would be fine and that I could catch a nap after the race.

Next morning, I made it to the parking lot on time. I slouched in the back seat of Amie's car all the way to the race. At the race, I was fine. I got caught up in the race atmosphere and cheered on each and every competitor. Later that day, when I got back home, I showered, after that, my energy was spent. The open lap swim time at UofL came and went as I slugged through the afternoon. Ugh. That's all it took for me to decide that alcohol was off limits until after the race. I also know that I need to be better about getting 7-8 hours of sleep per night. I'm still working on that one.

This past Friday night, I attended the 1st ever night racing session at Churchill Downs. I'm surprised they haven't thought of this before. It was a complete success. The track at night takes on a very cool quality and I had a great time. Did not get in bed until after midnight. And yes, I was expected at yet another parking lot the next morning at 7:30.

Today's event was the Girlfriend's Ride in Columbus, Indiana. An all-women's 10k, 25k, or 50k ride to benefit Turning Point Domestic Violence Services. And at 7:30am after again not getting another full-night's sleep, I was not feeling very girlfriendly. I am still not quite a morning person and when I decided to start training for a tri in earnest, I had not considered the negative effect that all the training would have on my weekend sleeping-in time.

The alarm bleated at me at 6:30. I needed to make a quick shopping trip to pick up an extra cargo bag. I planned on taking a few extra things along with me as this would be the furthest I had ever ridden. I wanted my camera with me as well as some granola bars and a few extra tools in case of any technical trouble. I was in and out of the store in record time. I hopped in the car and was tooling down the road toward our designated meeting spot and whoops, I need gas! Another quick stop, and I was on my way, a little stressed out and crabby. I did not want to be the last one to show. I hate having a group of people waiting on me.

But, I arrived right on time and we all loaded up. I drove and my friend Holly rode shotgun with me. The ride up, a tall frosty Diet Coke and the conversation turned my mood completely around and by the time we pulled into the parking lot adjacent to the starting point of the ride, I was peppy and ready to ride.

For my first organized event, this one will give the others a whole lot to live up to. The bar was set high. The volunteers welcomed us, a smile on each and every pink t-shirted person. We were happily ushered over to a photographer and had our picture snapped, then on to packet pick up, a little carb loading of bananas, strawberries and homemade snacks and onto the bikes. We were off!

I was nervous about following a marked route. It was something I had never done before and I like to have my directions before hand. There was a map in the packet, but I couldn't memorize it first and I didn't think I could ride and read, so I decided to trust in the road markers and give it a whack. Before this, every ride I had been on so far was led by a ride captain from the local bike club. I didn't need to know the route, I just followed the crowd. I need not to have worried! The route for this ride was perfectly marked. Each turn was clearly marked with a hot pink heart and direction lines. If you were paying even a little bit of attention, you couldn't get lost.

The weather was beautiful. While a little warm, the beginning and final few miles of the route was liberally dotted with trees. Columbus has a spectacular park system with frequent lakes and nicely kept landscaping. Also, hats off to the residents of Columbus, there were as many if not more gorgeously kept gardens in yards to smile at as there were lovely spots out amongst the vineyard and farms.

While we were riding against some wind, it provided a cooling breeze when I needed it. The route was very conducive to a fun ride with girlfriends. The difficultly could be upped by doing one of the higher distances, but I thought the 25k was perfect for me to work on some gear change strategies and challenge myself with a longer distance than I had ever ridden before. There were a few moderate hills, but as I climbed them, I used what I had learned about my gears and advice I had either read or been given. I shifted early and powered through. And thanks to Shannon who had a speedometer on her bike and every so often would call out how fast we were riding! That was a big help. I have to get one of those.

At about mid point, we pulled in to rest at a pretty little winery. Again, amazing volunteers! We were treated to shoulder massages, live music, clean nice restrooms (very important!) along with another smorgasbord of fresh fruit, water, gatorade and other carb laden treats. 10-15 minute rest and off we went! Half way there!

The majority of the 2nd half of the ride took us through Indiana farmland. Vibrant fields of corn and other crops sped by us on both sides underneath a crisp blue sky interrupted every so often by farmhouses that had very likely watched over their farms for generations. How perfectly charming.

A few miles later, we took a detour through a park and get a 45 second deviation into off road biking! A ride steward directed us where to turn off and also took some pictures of us. I cheekily struck a pose; I was having a great time! Then I struck off through some gravel and grass to a tree lined shady bike path back in to the tidy neighborhoods of Columbus, one of which had a lake with houses surrounding; explosions of flowers and bright colors all around us.

Another stop! Yay! This time at a school and there were more gracious and cheerful volunteers, water and lemonade. And yep, more carbs to keep us going the rest of the way. Back on our bikes a few minutes later, through town proper past a festival sporting bagpipers (we pretended they were for us) and to the finish line. There, covered in sun, smiles and sucking down free smoothies, we celebrated our finish rested a few, then headed home.

A good day! I will definitely be on board next year.
If I could change anything?
Next year...I may do the 50.


2 comments:

Ben June 24, 2009 at 10:57 AM  

Wow, looks like a lot of fun! Props to Amie for sportin' the Power Softies jersey.

Y'know you might consider working up to a metric century 100k (60 miles) this year... you could do that :)

Jason June 24, 2009 at 5:00 PM  

Wow great post Dawn! Are you a writer? As a writer myself I always analyze other people's work ... you definitely have some skills.

I'll e-mail you soon, I've swamped with work and now I'm trying to get caught up.

Post a Comment